Sunday, June 19, 2005

Stung

Remember the flies?

It's gotten worse. Eww.

They disappeared for about a week or so because of the sweltering heat, and I thought they were dead, or had just relocated or something. But no such luck. A couple of days ago, I noticed that they were back.

And while before, they looked like newborn flies, they've grown. Fast. They still have skinny little stick bodies, but they're longer and their legs are longer and they've got gross little eyes and they stare at me while they're clinging to my window screen and the glass on the other window. They're all different colors. Some have green legs, some have orange legs, some have black legs, but they all equally make me want to run away from the window. Although the low temps are supposed to be pretty cool this week, I sit here hoping and hoping that they will not turn off the building's air conditioning, because there is no way I am opening the windows to allow those monsters entrance to my abode.

Aren't the screens supposed to keep them out? Half the bugs on the screened window are inside the screen. Including the one that scares me more than some of the spiders. I know in some previous post (that I can't find) that I mentioned seeing a black and yellow striped tiny flying bug on my window. Well, it's still in the screen. And unlike before, it now has a stinger the size of its body. I guess before, when I thought I was mistaken about it being a bee, I was deluding myself into thinking it was a fly. I've never seen a bee this close before (thank goodness), but seeing it crawling around in the screen with its stinger was enough to give me the shivers.

If the bugs can get from outside into the screen, can they come in through some tiny hole in the window and terrorize me? :(

I love summer weather. I love that it's warm when walking around at night and the air carries with it a fresh summer scent. (Unless you're on a crowded street with garbage, an alleyway or a subway station... but I try not to frequent those spots in the summer heat. Well, it's not like I live near anything but buses right now anyway and I don't have to take my garbage outside.) I love that you can wear skirts and sleeveless shirts everyday. I love that the daylight hours are longer. But what I hate about summer is the infestation of insects and other creepy crawlies that invade my space. They make summer so much less pleasant.

Now that I've wasted all this time talking about bugs that hate me, I should probably do something useful. Or at least try. :)

No comments: