Friday, December 10, 2004

Apprentice 2.14

I'm bored with telecommunications. So I'll blog about The Apprentice, writing this post piece by piece inbetween taking notes from court cases and FCC orders.

First and foremost, Kevin got screwed. (And I'm not just saying that out of school loyalty.) He was completely qualified to be in the Final 2. And I think it was some version of political correctness and PR that kept him out of F2. Plain wrong.

I was hoping for a Sandy/Kevin F2, because they are two people I would actually want to deal with in real life, despite already knowing the offshore betting scheme that had the high bets on a Kelly/Jen F2. A Kelly/Jen F2 was reasonably predictable at the time the bets were made, also for PC/PR reasons.

What PC/PR reasons? Trump had one white guy and one black guy last year. He wasn't going to do the same thing again. (Especially were he to prefer Kelly over Kevin... think of the uproar - 2 years in a row!) There was definitely going to be a woman in the F2 this year. And from the early episodes, all indications were that the only competent woman was Jen. Even though in her pre-bitch episodes, all she did was fly under the radar.

So yeah, in my opinion, Kevin got screwed. I'm okay with Kelly being there, ego and all, because I do feel that he does in some way deserve it (even if I think he's arrogant). But with the way the two girls were fighting after Kevin was already fired... it was just so wrong. Sure, Sandy should have known more information about the Trump organization going into a situation like this, but that didn't give Jen the right to act all elitist and tell Sandy and everyone else that she couldn't hack it at the same good schools she did.

So many things tonight made me even more disgusted by Jen. There was the school thing: it's one thing to say that she didn't choose to continue her education; it's completely different to say that she doesn't have the brains to be able to do it. The first is fact; the second is just bitchy and personal. I hate it when people act all elitist about schools, but that played right into what Trump wanted to see. Ugh. And her going on and on about moving to San Francisco as such a big risk, despite the fact that her bio says that she was heavily recruited during law school? (I mean, she went to HLS, c'mon, of course she was recruited.) She had the job before she went there. Big risk there. Puh-leeze.

There's one thing I do wonder. They must have gotten her bio info from her and her bio on Yahoo says that she's a securities litigator. Yet all through the episode, she was talking about her dealwork and the transactions she had responsibility for as a first year associate. That's transactional. So unless the bio writers think litigator = lawyer, I'm extremely confused.

But confusion aside, I can't stand her and want her off my TV.

But maybe Trump deserves Jen. She can shriek at others in front of him every day if he wants her to be his Apprentice, so maybe if he chooses her, he deserves it. But I don't want to see her smug satisfied face if she's chosen.

So I have to root for Kelly. Sigh.

The cast of Apprentice 2 really has nothing on the cast of the original. If it's any sign how I feel about this season (some people are saying the show has already jumped the shark - in S2!), I don't think I'll be buying the DVDs unless they're dirt cheap or there's something really compelling in them or there's some other reason to get them. The season itself isn't doing it for me the way Season 1 did. I think it's both the cast and Trump's decisions. Oh well.

Like someone was saying on the forums, thank goodness for The Amazing Race. 6 seasons, still improving and still the same high quality it was from the start. Thanks Jerry Bruckheimer. You and Phil show DT how it's done. :)

No comments: