Sunday, December 19, 2004

Yummy Eats

I thought about titling this post "Good Eats" but I didn't want to get in trouble with the Food Network, since I love them so much. (Not that this has ever stopped me before, but "Yummy Eats" isn't a bad title either, since it's accurate.)

Here's pictures of some of the yummy food I've eaten over the past week. I know I could have saved this for the week in review, but I didn't want that post to get too too too long.

Ever since exams have ended, I've been treating myself to (and have been treated to) some yummy treats. On Saturday, right after exams ended, Alvin and I hit Chipotle for a quick dinner and then had some good food at the holiday party. Sunday brought a trip to Silver Spoon for some great Thai and Japanese food; I posted some pictures in last week's week in review (linked).

Two of my college friends came to visit from out of town from Monday to Wednesday, so there was much dining indulgence to be had. (I'll talk more about this in the upcoming week in review, but this post is all about the food.) Monday, Perry and I hit Burrito Beach for lunch where I had their baja chipotle chicken but in a salad bowl. Yum.

For dinner, we all went to Cafe Iberico in River North. It's a tapas place that's always crowded, and the line on weekends can go down the street. It's almost impossible to get a table. Since we went on a Monday night, it wasn't so bad, but considering that it was a Monday after 8 pm, the place was packed. We even had to wait a few minutes for a table! We split 8 tapas.

Here's the beef skewers and "special" potatoes:


The "special" potatoes again, along with the patatas bravas, the mushrooms and the tortilla espanola (one of my favorites):


We also got the baked goat cheese which was yummy, a tuna/carrots/peas salad, and some chicken/ham croquettes. My favorite tapas at Iberico so far are the goat cheese, the patatas bravas and the tortilla espanola.

On Tuesday, we went for brunch at the West Egg Cafe near my apartment before going out for our day of sightseeing. This cafe gets really crowded, especially for Sunday brunch, and the food's pretty good. I got a turkey burger, which was a really good price considering the fact that you get a side salad, a fruit cup and breakfast potatoes with it:



Everyone else got breakfast - eggs, corned beef hash, biscuits and gravy... What can I say, I like lunch food a lot more.

I'm not sure anyone really cares what I've been eating. But I'm posting it anyway. It's an addiction.

We went for dinner to Kamehachi, a sushi restaurant in Streeterville. After starting with seaweed salad, check out this yummy plate of sushi:



I don't know the names of all the rolls, but they were really good and much more affordable than I had thought Kamehachi was. I love beautiful sushi rolls; it's like great art.

Wednesday, we went back to the West Egg Cafe for lunch where I toyed with the idea of getting a turkey burger again, but instead went for a cold turkey & cheese sandwich with avocado and sprouts. Not bad, but I'm more partial to the turkey burger. For dinner, Alvin and I went with his brother and sister-in-law to Aroma on Randolph for some good Thai food. I think Silver Spoon is better, but this was pretty good. I really liked the flavor of this ground chicken and string beans dish, until a jalapeno pepper (I think that's the type) numbed and burned my tongue. Oops.

Thursday was healthy: home-prepared lunch and salad for dinner. Woohoo!

On Friday, I was really craving bubble tea so Alvin took me to Joy Yee's to feed my addiction. I've had some trouble getting bubble tea in the past - last time they had closed up about a minute before scheduled, so I couldn't get any drinks. The time before that, they ran out of tapioca. At least the third time it worked out.

Here's our seaweed salad appetizer - so much for a good price:


Mmmmm.... peach!


Alvin got lychee, because I ordered peach before he had a chance... you can see his Hainanese chicken in the background:


I got Thai basil chicken fried rice (and finished it for breakfast before getting on the plane):


And then today, I finally got a Wendy's fix and had dinner at Wing Shing in Brooklyn. Mmm good Chinese food.

Mmm mmm good.

No comments: