Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Sadness and Loss

RIP, Jerry Orbach.

It's so sad. :( And to me it's so shocking, even though I knew he had cancer, probably because I watch so much Law & Order, so it's like I've seen him every day. He will be missed. Briscoe was my favorite.

There's just so much sadness and loss at the end of this year, and it's incredibly sad. I haven't even come to grips with the scale of loss from the tsunami in Asia, and that's probably why I haven't said anything about it. I can't get it out of my head, it keeps me up at night and I can't help being depressed over the whole thing - and there's absolutely nothing I can really do to help. (Of course, I'm planning to donate money, but while helping, it doesn't really feel like I'm doing anything...) Before Sunday, it seemed almost unfathomable that anything like this could actually happen. But now, we know all too well that it has.

I've never been to any of those countries in Asia, but I had been thinking about going to the beaches in Thailand during the month after the bar. I can't believe a place like Phuket can just be basically gone in an instant. My head hasn't been able to wrap itself around the devastation, despite the pictures and the news and the images. It's just so incredibly sad.

1 comment:

mrsd said...

I feel the same way. I read in a recent article 'the human mind can't grasp human death on a massive scale. We expect death to happen one or two at a time.' I think that is one of the reason this tragedy is so overwhelming--the sheer volume of human death. :(