Monday, July 04, 2005

Credit

I had a really strange dream last night that was a little too real. And very vivid. It's as clear as some of my real memories.

In my dream, I had been having dinner (or maybe lunch) with a group of people at a really large restaurant. I remember that it was a Korean buffet restaurant, but I don't remember seeing any buffet lines. Anyway, after we ate, I took the bill to the register and gave the lady my credit card to pay. I had turned around and looked at the other tables in the restaurant, and when I turned back, my jaw dropped in shock.

The lady had CUT UP MY CREDIT CARD! Into 3 pieces. Sitting on the counter.

I felt the rage bubble up inside of me, but tried to stay calm as I asked her, "Why did you cut up my credit card?!"

Stern but steady. Not losing control.

"It wasn't going through."

"So you cut up my card?!"

"Yes."

"You cut up my card instead of trying a second time?!"

"Yes."

"You cut up my card instead of calling up Citibank or Mastercard to see why it wasn't working?!"

"Well, yes."

With every question, I felt my voice getting louder and louder. Some people were turning around to see what the problem was. I felt my pulse racing as I was getting more and more angry. I remember shouting, but since I hadn't commanded the attention of the whole restaurant, I'm not sure if I was.

"WELL WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO NOW THAT YOU CUT UP MY CREDIT CARD? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

The lady didn't even feel bad. She made it seem like it was her right to cut up the card because it didn't go through the first time, and that I had no cause for complaint. I knew I had enough space under my credit limit for the charge. I knew I could get another credit card, but that it would take time. What was I supposed to do in the meantime? Pay everything in cash? Cash?! I pay everything with my credit card. What was I supposed to do because of her stupidity in cutting up my credit card?!

Someone from my firm (yes, this is random) passed by me at that time. I think he was out with some other guys from the firm, but no one was dressed in business casual clothes, just very casual clothes. I felt a little embarrassed to have lost my temper in front of co-workers, but he reassured me that it was alright. After all, he said, "it's happened before. She does that a lot."

At which point I became even more confused. She does this a lot? She just cuts up people's credit cards? For fun? Angry. I started thinking about how I was going to write a letter to Mastercard about the establishment's poor behavior in dealing with cardholders, and would tell them all about how she unjustly cut up my card. And the fact that I was going to need to get a new card. And probably send away to put a new picture on the card. (I have a photocard, which is great because I usually don't need to show additional ID.) What a hassle. And all because that b*tch cut up my card!

At this point, my alarm went off. But I woke up pretty agitated. What a bad dream!

I told Alvin my whole dream, and he seemed confused that I would be so aggravated by it. "You'd just get another card." Yeah, but what about the time it takes for the new card to arrive? Unfortunately, it's not like a department store that has temp cards. "Just use your debit card."

And then, I felt really dumb. I have a debit Mastercard... which would work just fine doubled as a credit card.

Lesson learned from my dream? I am incredibly dependent on my credit card. I pay for everything with plastic, from candy at Walgreens to sandwiches at Jimmy Johns and McDonalds. If I don't have to pay in cash, I don't. And then I get anywhere from 1 to 5% back, which makes me feel even better about using it. But yeah... must not forget that I can make do for a week with my debit card. As much as I love my credit card. :)

No comments: