Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Comfort II

It seems like the Style section of the NYT has a thing for discussions about comfort.

The email newsletter question this time was about dressing down for travel and clothes worn while flying. There was an article a while ago (or was it just last week?) about how people are wearing more comfortable clothes and dressing in preparation for security checks. Here's some of the discussion responses:

"A" said: "I still believe that anytime you appear in public, you should adhere to high standards of dress. It is embarrassing to see so many others treat the airport like a slumber party."

What exactly does she mean by, "high standards of dress" here? Are you supposed to wear business suits when you travel on planes? Sweater sets and dress pants? I'm sorry, but if I'm going to be traveling for hours, with my skin drying out and my eyes rejecting my contact lenses, the last thing I'm worried about is my standard of dress. Personally, I'd prefer to wear a t-shirt and yoga pants, but I usually end up in jeans.

It's sort of like Barbri in a sense. :)

And while they always have one person who has to criticize how people don't dress well, they always have someone on the side of comfort:

"B" said "I always think that comfort is more important than fashion when flying. I wear slip-on shoes, if possible - it's amazing how chic those cheap sandals from Canal Street can be!"

I like this opinion. :) Especially since I hate wearing shoes on airplanes too. Just not that comfy. And when I'm stuck in a tiny economy seat, if I take my shoes off, I can stretch my legs and use my backpack as a footrest. And do what I always seem to do on planes lately... nap the whole time.

On the topic of flying, I finally made my flight reservations yesterday. It's too bad that I don't have either of my admission tickets yet. Hmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have mine either. Should we worry?