Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Paced

I've never really followed the Paced Program during any part of Barbri. I was behind from the beginning since Barbri started during finals, and I never caught up. Technically, I'm up to June 3rd. But that's mostly because I still haven't done any real property. (Sigh.)

But I don't think I ever had any illusion that I would ever keep up with the Paced Program. Everyone's pretty much been saying it creates unrealistic expectations and I think that's true. Especially after I took a look at what this weekend's "assignments" are.

Saturday and Sunday are our simulated MBE review days, so class goes from 9:30 to 4:30. They assigned 100 MBE questions + review of answers for each of those days as well. And they've always said that when you do MBE questions, you should review the answers in the same amount of time it takes to do the test.

So what does this mean? It means that the Paced Program is almost not humanly possible.

Let's look at this hypothetical schedule, including travel time:

9:30-4:30 Barbri review
4:30-5:00 Travel time (average)
5:00-8:00 Half MBE exam
8:00-11:00 Review 100Q answers

And then go to sleep and get to Barbri by 9:30 am to do it all again? I don't think so.

I'm still not entirely sure I'm going to the review this weekend, but asking someone to go to review for 7 hours and then come home to do a mock test for 3 hours and then review the answers for 3 hours is ridiculous. It couldn't possibly be a real expectation. Because, with another week of Barbri lectures still to go, that would just lead to some pretty bad burnout. Doesn't mean that you might not work for that many hours after the review... but to me, mock exams are pretty intense. Especially if you're doing it for 3 hours straight. I'd never make it through a full day of that without either falling asleep or beating my head against the desk.

Wills is seriously a foreign language. I can't decide whether I'm glad that I didn't take the class or not.

No comments: