Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Consumption

CNN Money has this interesting article about what people eat on the 4th of July.

One excerpt:

"I'll tell you what we don't eat on the Fourth of July," said Harry Balzer, vice president of NPD Group, which surveys the daily meal intake of more than 300 Americans. "French toast, Asian food, Lasagna. Are you spotting a pattern here?"

Hmm. I was craving lasagna tonight, and we almost spent 3 tickets on pad thai (but it's a place down the street that we could always go to, so why spend tickets on something accessible?). I guess we're not typical.

Some more statistics straight from the article:
  • Potato salad: 540 percent more likely to eat it on July 4 than on an average day.
  • Baked beans: 357 percent more likely.
  • Hot dogs: 210 percent.
  • Ice cream sodas and floats: 200 percent.
  • Pickles: 167 percent.
  • Cole slaw: 150 percent.
  • Macaroni and other pasta salads: 150 percent.
  • Hamburgers: 117 percent.
Hmm. I had none of that today. Does that make me un-American? I had French fries... (or would it be better for the holiday if I called them Freedom Fries? Sigh.) I could have gone for a pasta salad or potato salad today, but there was none. And I don't know about this "540% more likely to eat potato salad on 7/4 than an average day" because I've eaten potato salad a lot over the past year, and I rarely eat it on 7/4. I guess this whole article just establishes that I'm not the average surveyed American. I don't even consume pickles or ice cream sodas.

Oops. I was supposed to be going over the simulated MBE and I started talking about food. I think it's time to turn off Blogger for the night. :)

No comments: