Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Wills

It didn't even go for 3.5 hours, but my goodness, it felt like Wills class was never going to end today.

I don't know if the reason for that is because:
(a) it's late in the Barbri course and I just can't take long classes anymore;
(b) I didn't have much sleep;
(c) I know nothing about Wills and at some point, with new material, you just hit the point of diminishing returns; or
(d) because Wills is a really dry subject.

I think Wills (and estate stuff, generally) probably isn't too bad in practice... once you know the rules, it's really about client contact and relationships. Which is appealing. But these rules just didn't make for a very exciting morning.

I was pretty good about sticking to my routine yesterday. Barbri, lunch, wrote an essay, structured an outline, memorized more NY Practice at the gym, came back and started filling in the outline... and then fell asleep during L&O. And, of course, at that point, the routine all fell apart. Oh well.

Today didn't even last that long. Came home from Barbri, put lunch in the microwave and noticed from across 2 rooms, that there was an unwelcome trespasser in my apartment. Not even as large as my fingernail, but there was a spider just sitting on the wall by the window blinds. Not acceptable! People who know me well know about my fear, hatred, intense dislike for insects and spiders. So, I had to spend a while vacuuming. I tried vacuuming it the first time, but apparently, missed it and I think I got it on the second time. Either that, or it ran away really quickly. But after that, I had to vacuum for at least 10 more minutes, because I was conditioned from when I was younger, to just keep the vacuum running in case the spider wasn't dead and would run back out the vacuum hose. To that end, I also taped the end. Spiders have a habit of finding their way out through tiny holes, but I'm not going to make it easy for my brown nemesis.

Somehow though, I think the bar is slightly helping with my phobia toward the bugs (although this one was of manageable size - larger and I would have flipped). My heart rate did go up and I did feel twinges of fear in the beginning, but once those passed, I was just sort of pissed off at the spider. Like, how dare you make me take time away from lunchtime and my down time to take care of getting rid of you? The nerve! There was a bug close by my desk at Barbri today too, which did make me more nervous though, since I couldn't exactly run away screaming in the middle of Wills. Luckily it was a bug with wings that left me alone after I flipped a book over. So, maybe the bar isn't helping with the phobia at all, really.

My thoughts while vacuuming have proved even more that the bar has taken over every inch of my brain. I was thinking about how some people jokingly call others murderers for killing bugs or other living things. So, I was thinking that I did indeed have the intent to kill, but I could never be guilty of murder for vacuuming a spider because the victim of a homicide must be human. And I thought about how Whitebread made a point of saying that. Yeah... useless, but bar-related, thinking.

Tried to do an essay but it was all NY Practice subjects I hadn't gotten up to yet (except statute of limitations, which I can recite from memory). So, I didn't even bother writing it out because I didn't know enough. I'm hoping my outline progress makes up for the time spent on the spider and the time not spent on the essay, but we'll see later. Meaning, will I fall asleep during L&O again? (I sure hope not. It screws up my sleep schedule.)

It's getting to gym time. Third party practice on the elliptical or the bike... now that's a fun afternoon. Ha.

No comments: