Saturday, July 23, 2005

Rising

Sigh. I'm back to my old undergrad habits of staying up to watch the sun rise.

I never realized that sunrises happened so quickly. One minute it was dark, the next it was bright, and now it's sort of a peachy glow on the nearby highrises. It's a pretty shade of orange.

Still sending files.
Still packing.
Still haven't printed out my letter to the stupid parking office.
Still no sleep.

As usual, it's my own fault. But maybe staying up isn't such a bad thing - most of tomorrow is pretty much lost to traveling (at least, there's no long sustained periods of work and it's more just "get in what you can" here and there) and maybe I can finally get to sleep really early and right my sleep schedule in the way I need to before the exam.

Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.

Not sure if I'm going to nap or not. Back to the old undergrad worry that usually hit most of my friends: "if I bother going to sleep, will I miss my flight?" In college, I never had to worry. My parents always knew I wasn't packed, and they would call me on the drive up to CT, so I had time to jump out of bed and hurriedly put stuff together. But yeah... I don't want to miss my flight. But I probably should get an hour or two of a nap in. But there's still so many files on my computer! Much more than I thought. And even though I'm transferring between two computers on the same network, it's as slow as 60 kb/sec. Something's not right about that.

Here's how I think the rest of today might go:

6:40-9: Nap (maybe)
9-10: Most likely try to get up if I nap; procrastinating if I never went to sleep (if you look at past posts, there was a time when I watched Mean Girls repeatedly, but that was a morning flight - this one's not till afternoon)
10-12: Get ready, pack, do last minute study things, etc.
12-1: Get to the airport in the midst of Lollapalooza traffic
1-2: Check my bag in (I rarely do this, but I figure I need to leave stuff at home, and how else am I going to carry all these big heavy books?), go through security, try not to fall asleep at the gate by eating a Potbelly sandwich (even if I've just had lunch)
2-3: Getting on the plane and hoping my carry-on is allowed on with me
3-6: Fly to NY
6-7: Get out of the airport and back to my parents' house
7-10: Assortment of dinner, unpacking, maybe a few MBEs, I'll probably bring some "short outline" sheet or something to dinner and try to convince my parents to let me explain concepts to them that I need to figure out :)
10-11: Get ready to sleep
11: Sleep

Ha. That's the goal. That's the ideal schedule. But we're talking about me. I tend to procrastinate. And umm, I tend to babble when I'm tired and zoning out. (Like... now. There's no need for me to put all this crap in a post, but I'm doing it anyway.)

The peachy glow is gone. Now it just looks hazy.

I just re-read what I wrote, and it sounds like I'm having a conversation with myself. I guess I'm craving human contact since this is the first time I've been on IM in a long time, and it's only to transfer files. And there's no one for me to talk to at 6 am. :( And, you know, with all this bar stuff, I'm sort of losing it. :)

My mom has hopefully hidden Harry Potter in the house and hopefully I will not find it before leaving for Manhattan on Monday. I've actively avoided anything HP on the internet, on TV, anything but the price of the book. It's too great a temptation and I totally don't trust myself. I've had the "hide it in the house" plan since May. I'm going to open it Thursday night after this whole mess is over.

I wanted to put all of my outline packets into my backpack, but clearly I did not condense enough, because the folder didn't fit. So I had to split it up, which was tough, because it was like trying to weigh which subjects were important. In the end, evidence, procedure and crim all ended up in the non-backpack bag, but that's mostly because I don't know anything about trusts, wills, corporations or domestic relations. When I was throwing out paper earlier today, I found some old property notes that had all this stuff on Trusts. I loved my property professor, but I really don't even remember hearing a thing about Trusts during either quarter.

I'm hungry. :( I was done with dinner before 9, and between now and then, I've only had one stick of string cheese. Of course, that's mostly because I wasn't planning to still be awake. If I had plenty of time and were packed (well, I'd probably sleep, but if I didn't), I'd go to the Korean restaurant and get bibimbop, even though it's 6 am. Yum.

It's all yellowish outside now. The peachy glow was much prettier.

And I think I need to stop talking about nothing, which is what I tend to do in the early morning hours. Most of my college papers were written between 2 and 6 am. They were my most productive hours. I wonder why.

Time to pull myself away from this stream of consciousness post. I'm going to sign out of Blogger so that I can't be tempted to write more about nothing. Then I'm going to finish sending files, put together my parking pass envelope to return, set an alarm, and force myself to take a nap. Shouldn't be too hard, considering that if I wanted to, I could probably sleep all day. (And there I go again, off on another tangent...)

No more nonsense. Good night!!

No comments: