Monday, July 18, 2005

Returning

I love how one of the rules we're supposed to know includes what happens to engagement rings if the marriage doesn't happen. It's in the CMR under personal property: "If the marriage does not occur, engagement gifts must be returned regardless of who is at fault for breaking off the engagement." (They earlier specified an engagement ring as an example of an engagement gift, which is made in comtemplation of marriage.)

I would usually just write this off to the CMR having more rules than we need to know, except the lecturer during domestic relations mentioned the exact same rule. And was very specific about the need to return engagement rings.

Of course, what do I think of? SATC and the episode where Charlotte is trying to figure out what to do with her ring. It's different, because she was married and was getting divorced, so the rule doesn't apply. But it made me think of all those women on the show who had turned their diamond rings into earrings or necklaces or other jewelry. I wonder if any of them used engagement rings from marriages that never happened. But I should really stop wondering, because thinking about TV isn't going to help me pass the bar.

Finished personal property only about 10 minutes past my preferred deadline, and now moving on to secured transactions. Longer chapter than anything else I did today, so it will be hard to estimate when I should be done. But I'd like to be done by 6 at the latest. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have made engagement rings for several clients who did not make it to the alter. Most often the ring was kept by the woman. The issue of who legally owns the ring once it has been given is probably answered differently from state to state.