Thursday, May 19, 2005

Lost

I had to delay my Lost and Alias watching last night because of the school's graduation dinner, so I feel off-kilter. (I watched Lost before sleeping - something I try not to do because it makes me think a lot! - and still haven't seen Alias yet. Grrr.) I'll catch up tonight.

But I have to say: Lost delivered. Not many shows can make me go from nailbiting anticipation to tears streaming down my face within a matter of minutes. And I was a total crybaby with the episode. The craziest part? There's two more hours of the finale left! The quality of "Exodus, Part One" was up to par with most shows' season finales - but this isn't even the end!

Some people complain about there being so much backstory on Lost, so many flashbacks. But that's one of the best parts of the show. Would we be so invested in these characters, in their future, in their relationships if we didn't know so much about their backstories? Would we tear up as much at their present events if we didn't know their pasts, if we hadn't accompanied them on their journeys from who they were to who they are now? I think that would have to be answered in the negative. The show is about storytelling; that's its strength. Of course, some episodes are stronger than others, but the show isn't without a plan. And the storytelling is amazing.

I know Desperate Housewives gets all the attention, but I think Lost far surpasses it as the best new show of this TV season. (And I'm a big DH fan too, but honestly? Lost is a step above.) If you haven't been able to watch it this season, don't worry - ABC is re-airing the entire show over the summer before the DVDs come out in September. I highly recommend it.

I can't wait until next Wednesday to find out what else happens! Although perhaps I shouldn't want Wednesday to come too soon, because that would mean I've already taken 3 exams - none of which I'm close to prepared for (especially the first one!). But next Wednesday will be a great TV watching night. I'm so excited. And it's not about finding out whether Carrie or Bo is the ultimate chosen one. I've got to know what happens to the castaways.

No comments: