Monday, May 16, 2005

NBC

Okay, I've read the press release.

My first thought: "NBC couldn't possibly have used the word 'upscale' in their release any more times than they did. I get it, they want to characterize themselves as the 'upscale' viewer network."

My second thought: "I don't think they're going to be #1 with the schedule they've got." Maybe they won't end up #4 again, but I don't think this line-up is going to push them to #1. They've kept a lot of their old shows, which isn't a terrible thing, but I'm not seeing the breath of fresh air that they keep saying they're bringing to the table. Of course, I'm not a TV expert or insider, and I haven't seen any of the new shows and they could be amazing. But this is just my first take.

Here's their released schedule:

Monday
Fathom: "A new form of sea life begins to appear in locales all over the earth." That doesn't really tell me too much about the show, so I'm interested in seeing a promo for it, but I'm not compelled to watch the show based on the idea alone.
Las Vegas: Pretty pretty decoration. I used to watch this back when it first started, but not anymore. (Especially since 24 has this time slot this season!)
Medium: Yay! I love this show.

Tuesday
Biggest Loser: I watched this whenever I had time this past season. Good show, had some issues with some of the weighing concepts & obsession with numbers, but it's so much better than those makeover shows. Not a surprise return though, since they were casting over the winter (was it winter?).
My Name is Earl: I don't watch many comedies on TV anymore, but if it gets good buzz, I might check it out.
The Office: Never seen the BBC version, the first episode of the US version was okay, but Amazing Race was on and I got bored..
Law & Order: SVU: Yay, my favorite L&O.

Wednesday
Apprentice Martha Stewart: This should be fun.
E-Ring: New show that I am compelled by. Good producer (Bruckheimer), stars (Benjamin Bratt & Dennis Hopper), takes place in the Pentagon. Looks like it could be a good drama. Although if Wednesdays are anything like they are now, they're way overcrowded. But that's what taping is for.
L&O: I watch it if it's on. Although thanks to Medium & Numb3rs (and even SVU), the original L&O just seems so ... slow, nowadays.

Thursday
Joey: Don't watch.
Will & Grace: I liked the show in the past, but I can't believe it's still going.
Apprentice 4: I heard there's some pretty people in the TA4 cast. :)
ER: Don't watch.

Friday
Three Wishes: Could be a nice "wish come true" reality show. Better than a makeover show.
Dateline NBC: Don't watch.
Inconceivable: Sounds like Grey's Anatomy in a fertility clinic. We'll see. If Numb3rs still has this time slot, I'm loyal to them instead. (Hmm, no TBJ... oh well.)

Sunday
Dateline NBC: Again?
West Wing: New time slot? Wonder if it will make any difference. (Boo, this was Contender's time slot.) Still don't watch.
Law & Order: CI: Mr. Big!! I mean, Detective Logan!! :) But Desperate Housewives (if it's in the same place...)
Crossing Jordan: Yay, that's back too. Even though I usually catch reruns.


Not too dissatisfied with this list of shows. But like I said, I don't see the new shows (not that many of them either) propelling them to the top of the charts (especially if AI is as strong as it is now). Scrubs, Fear Factor and 2 other comedies come back "at some point" in the year. I guess that's good news for Scrubs fans (don't really watch).

But E-Ring intrigues me. (Like the only thing on the list of new shows I'm really into.) I wonder if it will be more like West Wing or more action, like 24 and Alias. We shall see. :)

Edit: Oh that's right! After reading Zap2it, I realized that American Dreams is also gone. (Like many had predicted.) How sad... I didn't really watch the show, but I thought it was good. Oh well.

No comments: