Monday, May 30, 2005

Sei

Day 1 of my return-to-personhood was fun-filled. Last night, I went to sleep without setting an alarm. It was fantastic. I got almost exactly 8 hours of sleep before I woke up naturally. I haven't gotten 8 hours of sleep for the longest time - maybe since spring break! Since I knew I was going to go back to sleep some more just because I could, I took a break first to take some pictures of Bike the Drive.

Bike the Drive took place from about 5:30 am to 10 am. Lake Shore Drive, the main thoroughfare on the east side of Chicago, gets closed down to cars and is only open to bikes. (No pedestrians, either. I'd like it to close down for a day for a "walk/run the drive" but it's not happening.) I've never actually seen it happening (last year Memorial Day weekend I was going to NYC, and the year before I lived on the south side), so I wanted to check it out before going back to sleep. It's pretty different seeing bikes on the drive.





After lunch, it was time to head down to UIC to see Alvin's basketball game. I took the bus and the Red Line down to Roosevelt, and then walked down Roosevelt to UIC. It was nice to spend time outside after being cooped up indoors from all my studying. During the past week, it's no wonder that my short 10 minute walks to Northwestern for Barbri were so refreshing, considering the rest of my time was spent on the living room couch with my laptop.

I passed by Target and wanted to go check out the clearance racks. (It's been so long!) I passed by Maxwell Street market, and since I've still never been, I wanted to browse the stands and take some pictures. But there will be time for all of that another day. I'm free!

My walk on Roosevelt took me over the river and an Amtrak train yard. Here's some of my walk (and yes, it was bright and sunny during Bike the Drive and mostly cloudy by the afternoon - what a shame):





Not sure what that train car was doing among the Amtrak cars, but there it was.

I tried to take action shots of Alvin playing basketball, but they were all blurry. I need to learn how to take action shots, or find a camera that can. Unfortunately, while taking the only clear picture I had, the woman next to me walked by, so there's some blue tinge from her jeans. My only clear picture! And of course, it's blue tinged on the Alvin side of the picture and not the other. Oh well.





After the tournament, the entire group went for a banquet dinner at Furama. We got there at 6, like the ticket said, forgetting that since this was a Chinese event, we were way too early. At least we got parking on the street right outside the restaurant though. Dinner was good, and we have plenty of leftovers.



I'm heading to sleep soon. I would have gone out to the tournament party, but this week has definitely taken its toll. I've been falling asleep for the past hour while watching TV and sending pictures on Hello. But it's better than falling asleep in front of a casebook and computer file! Time for some recuperative sleep. :)

No comments: