Saturday, May 28, 2005

Vingt

Being the mathematically capable person that I am, I added 11 + 3 = 15, for 15 credits left to earn before graduation (in the previous post). I didn't catch my mistake until I was re-reading old May blog posts and saw that I had written 14 credits in another post, at which point I had to stop and do the math again in my head.

Here's what I did originally:
3 + 3 = 6 + 2 = 8 + 3 = 11 + 3 = 15.

I'm going to pretend that it's because I need to go to sleep, but clearly, I just have addition problems. (Thinking back to high school math class doing a problem on the board, 49 + 4 = 54, and not noticing any error for a very long time, even after being asked about it...)

Of course, the easier thing would have been to say (4 classes * 3 credits) + (1 class * 2 credits) = 14 credits. But ... I guess I can pretend that I didn't even think of doing it this way until I started analyzing my mistake because I need sleep.

I was a math tutor in high school! I used to be pretty good at math back then. Has that part of my brain really wasted away from lack of use?

Maybe. After all, I am posting this example of my inability to add for all the world to see. :)

Edit: If you caught this post before I edited it, the first line of the post had said that I added 11 + 4 = 15 when I made my mistake. So, not only did I make a mistake the first time I added it, but then I wrote out the correct addition and used it as evidence of a mistake. Sigh. :)

No comments: